Discover the Var coastline, hurtle down the Verdon cattle tracks on your mountain bike, take your family cycling to Draguignan and on the island of Porquerolles during the off season, or organise a wine route on electric bikes. The Var is also home to the Roc d’Azur!
Explore the Var by bike
Whether you love cycling with your family, are an experienced thrill-seeker, or even a mountain-bike enthusiast on rough ground, the Var has a thousand and one different landscapes to enchant you!
The Var offers incredible cycling opportunities, such as the medium mountainous area of the Haut Var Verdon and Pays de Fayence, the Maures, Sainte-Baume or Estérel Massifs, the fields and valleys of Provence Verte or delightful routes beside the azure blue sea!
Thrill-seekers and explorers can explore the Var by mountain bike, or go for something unconventional, along little back roads or departmental roads.
Cycling along the coast
Discovering the Var coastline by bike, whether on a family outing or something more unusual, there are many good reasons to ride along the coastal cycle path!
The path runs through 20 villages between Six-Fours-Les-Plages and Saint-Raphaël, following the traces of the former Provençal railway.
Take the coast cycle route, and explore a varied countryside, with diverse flora and an exceptional coastline.
At the moment, 92km of trails have been created, of which around 60km are separate lanes, i.e. for the exclusive use of non-motorised vehicles. Certain parts of the route have not been finished, so users will need to go along main roads. Check the state of the path beforehand by consulting with the appropriate Tourist Office.
The Var knows how to seduce mountain bike enthusiasts with its outstanding wilderness, suitable for all abilities.
Between the sea and the mountains, from fishing villages to hilltop village, come and explore our marked trails.
Have a closer look…
- 15 circuits in the ‘Hyères – Les Îles d’Or’ mountain bike area, located between Porquerolles and Hyères through the Maures Massif, and certified by the French Cycling Federation (FFC).
- The ‘Coeur du Var’ routes
- The Siou-Blanc plateau
‘Accueil Vélo’ – exceptional facilities guaranteed
‘Accueil Vélo’ is a certification awarded to service providers who offer facilities adapted to the needs of cyclists.
By directing you to these service providers, you are guaranteed:
- a picnic lunch for the following day
- a secured bike garage
- bike-cleaning equipment
- washing machine and tumble dryer
- technical breakdown assistance
- equipment for families (e.g. high chair)
- services to facilitate access (bike pick-up and drop-off in different locations)
The Var also has numerous cycling events for all abilities:
- The Roc d’Azur – the biggest mountain bike event in Europe (starts in Fréjus)
- The Lachens-mer – a mountain bike ride from Mont Lachens to the sea (Roquebrune)
- The ‘Maurin des Maures’ – a mountain bike route from the Maures Massif to La Londe,
- The Piste des Sangliers – a mountain bike ride in Pierrefeu, in the Maures Massif
- The Tour du Haut Var – a road cycling competition
- The Hyères Velodrome hosts annual national and international competitions
- And much more…
From Monday 12 to Thursday 15 February 2018.
Monday 12 February 2018 between 8 AM and 6 PM.
Sunday 3 June 2018.