Saint Pancrace Collegiate Church

This collegiate church has a museum of precious religious art where you can admire the oldest processional cross in Provence dating from the 14th century and hand-embroidered ornaments from the 17th century.
Built outside the walls by the architect Broulhoni from 1489 to 1503 to replace the village church which had become too small, in Provençal Gothic style with a Renaissance facade, it was erected as a Collegiate Church in 1499 with the arrival of the chapter of the canons of Valmoissine (former monastery of the Alps) who would remain there until the Revolution.

Receiving the relics of St. Pancras, a young Roman Christian martyred in 302 under Diocletian, she has been known by this name ever since.

Only the door of the former sacristy remains from the time of its construction, since the wars of religion destroyed all the furniture and burned the magnificent tympanum. In addition to the medallion of the canons' motto, the republican motto "Liberty, equality and fraternity" was added to the pediment in 1905 when the property of the church and the state was separated.

Access to the interior is via 7 descending steps (the height of the present square corresponds to the alluvium deposited by the successive floods of the Grave). The building has a nave and three side aisles, ending with a flat chevet.

Saint Pancrace Collegiate Church

Rue Gabriel Péri

83630   Aups


04 94 70 00 53

Contact the provider


Useful information

Opening

From 01/01 to 31/12, daily.


Prices

Free access.

Dernière mise à jour des informations le 29/11/2021

Labels, brands and listed sites

Contact the provider

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Saint Pancrace Collegiate Church

Rue Gabriel Péri

83630   Aups


04 94 70 00 53

Contact the provider