Milder air, longer days, birdsong, flowers… without a doubt, spring is here! It’s the perfect time to enjoy the Verdon, Port-Cros and Thoronet Abbey before the summer crowds arrive. Why not meet local people, artisans or go on a guided walk?
The Verdon and Port-Cros National Park: treasures to explore out-of-season
To make the most of these unspoiled natural sites, you’d be wise to avoid the summer rush. Spring is the ideal season to explore, just as nature wakes up after winter. Whether you go to the Verdon canyon or the Lake of Sainte-Croix, or even the islands of Porquerolles and Port-Cros, it’s a real joy to be able to walk along the paths, pedal, paddle or scoot in this remarkable landscape, with the feeling of being (almost) alone in the world. Unique destinations in France, just for you!
Must-see sites and monuments
There are some sites that are absolutely unmissable, which will tell you a story, ancient or modern, about the lives of men and women, beliefs and adventures. Amongst the sites in the Var, don’t forget to visit:
- Thoronet Abbey – a Cistercian wonder
- La Chartreuse de la Verne – shining in the heart of the Maures mountains
- Saint-Maximin Basilica – the 3rd Christian tomb and the biggest Gothic building in Provence
- La Celle Abbey – a remarkable example of Provençal Roman architecture
- La Villa Noailles – a jewel of modernist architecture from the 1920s, recalling an exciting history, and is now an Art Centre
- The Fréjus Episcopal Group – including a cathedral, 5th-century baptistery, a former episcopal palace and a cloister
Guided walks and outdoor excursions
Curious minds, enthusiasts, hiking fanatics, young and old will love our wide range of guided ‘nature’ excursions offered throughout the year. Spring is a particularly pleasant time for outdoor activities. A qualified guide will accompany you, teaching you about the flora and fauna, human work, the secret lives of animals, the heath, the sand, migratory birds and much more! Some walks are designed for children.
Crafts and workshop visits
Our craftspeople, including ceramicists, jewellery-makers, cabinet-makers, santon-makers have been chosen for their expertise, and offer guided tours, workshops and training courses.
There are also soap makers, olive-growers, nougat-makers and reed-makers who are opening their doors for guided visits – a time to share and exchange. Discover a new world and fulfill your desires, these visits are a unique opportunity to meet craftspeople who are keen to share their expertise.
Festivals and events
- ‘Printemps des Potiers’ in Bandol
- ‘Corso fleuri’ in Carqueiranne and Ollioules
- Antique Trade Fair in Fayence
- Sailing world cup in Hyères
- ‘Bravades’ inFréjus
- ‘Bravades’ in Cogolin, La Garde-Freinet, Sainte-Maxime and Saint-Tropez,
- Feast Day of Saint Hermentaire in Draguignan
- Reed Festival in Hyères
- Porquerolles Sailing Week in Hyères
- International Festival of Fashion and Photography in Hyères
- ‘Voiles Latines’ in Saint-Tropez
- ‘Printemps des Antiquaires’ in Saint-Tropez
- Culinary Trips along the Coast of Provence, in Pierrefeu-Du-Var
- La Viree Saint-Nazaire in Sanary-Sur-Mer
- ‘Joutes Musicales De Printemps’ in Correns (Pentecost),
- Transhumance Festival in Bargème and Montauroux
- Cello-Fan Violoncello Festival in Callian,
- Les Médiévales in Fayence,
- Feast Day of Saint Peter in Lavandou and Sanary-sur-Mer,
- Spanish ‘Bravades’ in Saint-Tropez,
- Feast Day of Saint Pothinus in Varages,
- Verdon Canyon Challenge in Le Verdon
- The Trans-Piad in Vinon-Sur-Verdon