TOMBEAU PYRAMIDAL DU VICE-AMIRAL DE LATOUCHE-TREVILLE
Died on August 17,1804, the death of this illustrious sailor was kept secret so that Nelson would be ignored, as well as his burial in the Toulon cemetery. It was only six years later that a pyramid-shaped mausoleum was built in his memory, near the Signal Cross Semaphore. This place was chosen because this sailor had expressed the desire to be buried so that the English of the four cardinal points would arrive.
On 14 October 1902, the military authority decided to move this mausoleum. Dismantled stone by stone, the monument was rebuilt in the military cemetery of the Saint-Mandrier hospital. The transfer of the body took place on April 29,1903 and gave rise to a demonstration of remembrance which took place in the presence of the civil and military authorities.
On the west side of the building, 2 sphinxs guard the entrance to the tomb. Above, a sealed plaque reminds visitors that the Vice Admiral of Latouche-Tréville died aboard his ship "le Bucentaure" in Toulon harbour on 18 August 1804.
All year round, daily.